From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: runlevels and service list
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 02:52:28
1 On 09/20/2009 05:40 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > walt wrote:
3 >> On 09/20/2009 02:51 PM, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>> The reason you don't see bash in ps is because you are not running
7 >>>> bash. I do,
8 >>>> but you obviously don't. What shell does root use per /etc/passwd?
9 >>>>
10 >>> This one:
11 >>>
12 >>> root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
13 >>>
14 >>> Looks like bash. ;-) I assume this is the default because I have never
15 >>> changed this file. Is there something screwy with my system?
16 >>
17 >> In linux bash is the default shell (even sh is a symlink to bash) but in
18 >> other OS's other default shells prevail.
19
20 Okay, okay, Alan, you're right, I have not tried every linux distro out there,
21 but when I was a linux noob I tried every one I could find. Back then that was
22 Debian, SuSe, Red Hat, Mandrake (since morphed into something else), and very
23 recently Ubuntu, just to see what all the fuss was about. (I'm sticking with
24 gentoo.)
25
26 All of those use(d) bash as the default shell, but may have switched while I
27 wasn't looking. Bash *appears* to be the official shell of GNU, as its home
28 page is hosted there: http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/
29
30 BTW, all of the above distros including gentoo are officially un-endorsed by
31 GNU: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/common-distros.html
32
33 >> How did you type your 'ps aux' command? In an xterm window, or what?
34 >>
35 >> Here's a snippet from my ps axf: (I love that 'f' flag)
36 >>
37 >> 4682 tty1 S 0:00 xterm -bg rgb:db/e9/f9 -sb -fn 9x15
38 >> 4685 pts/0 Ss 0:00 \_ bash
39 >> 4724 pts/0 S 0:00 \_ su
40 >> 4729 pts/0 S 0:00 \_ bash
41 >> 22427 pts/0 R+ 0:00 \_ ps axf
42 >>
43 > ...I did this in a Konsole within KDE...
44
45 Ah, that was the answer I was looking for. I'm a bit surprised that Konsole
46 doesn't invoke bash somehow. I'll investigate more tomorrow when I'm awake.