From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Enable "regular" network traffic when using VPN
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 20:03:03
1 On 06/19/2018 05:57 AM, Mick wrote:
2 > Actually, I don't know if there is a way to set up multiple nameservers
3 > for corresponding name resolution in/out of the tunnel, without using a
4 > domain- specific override as you would with dnsmasq and without leaking
5 > DNS queries to the ISP if you are meant to be querying the tunnel's
6 > nameservers.
7
8 My go to solution would be a local DNS server that decides where
9 different queries go.
10
11 > Yes, those VPN implementations that set up separate routing policy
12 > tables help to keep main and 'VPN' rules separate, which is neat and
13 > easy to maintain. only contains the route from the local VPN subnet to
14 > the remote LAN subnet.
15
16 Yep.
17
18 > Quite. The user (or his VPN client via some NM plugin) is meant to
19 > add in this networkmanager IPv4/Route tab the remote LAN subnet(s) and
20 > enable "Use only for resources on this connection" in order to set up
21 > a split tunnel. Then tun0 will only be used to tunnel connections to
22 > these subnets. All other connections to the Internet or local LAN will
23 > go outside the tunnel, using the default local gateway.
24
25 *nod*
26
27 > Given Hilco's results I'm surmising an empty table in the NM translates
28 > as 0.0.0.0/0 and all connections end up being routed via the VPN stack,
29 > but I could be wrong because I don't know what he may have entered in
30 > this table.
31
32 Agreed.
33
34 > Yes, but leaving the routes table empty ... it seems to tunnel everything
35 > through it ... I don't know without trying it out myself or getting more
36 > info on the settings.
37
38 Ya. This is unexpected behavior to me. I also don't have a convenient
39 way to reproduce it.
40
41 > I expect you can set up a subnet here and from this the NM will configure
42 > the route accordingly to make it go through the VPN stack.
43
44 That is the expected behavior.
45
46 IMHO the lack of additional routes mean that nothing other than the VPN
47 link itself should be routed through the VPN.
48
49 > Is this something I can manipulate via resolv.conf on the local PC
50 > (without a local resolver) to make sure DNS searches meant for the VPN
51 > stack are tunneled to the remote nameservers not leaked outside it?
52
53 I don't know of a good way to do this without a local DNS server.
54
55 > PS. Thanks for your write up on network namespaces. I'll look into this
56 > in more depth when I get a minute, because I would like to contain/isolate
57 > desktop applications I inherently mistrust - e.g. Skype.
58
59 You're welcome. I'm glad to hear people benefiting from it. Feel free
60 to reach out if you have any questions.
65 Grant. . . .
66 unix || die