From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd-224 Look out for new networking behavior
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2015 13:50:50
1 On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 8:30 AM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, Aug 02 2015, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 10:03 AM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> I've been running systemd for a long time without needing to enable
8 > >> the dhcpcd service at boot time. Starting with systemd-224 that is no
9 > >> longer true. Today I had to enable dhcpcd.service specifically or the
10 > >> network interface didn't get an ip address during boot.
11 > >>
12 > >> Seems like this might be especially important for those of you who need
13 > >> to update remote machines.
14 > >
15 > > If you enable systemd-networkd.service, and your .network file has
16 DHCP=yes
17 > > in its [Network] section, then it will use the DHCP client included with
18 > > systemd-networkd.
19 > >
20 > > In my servers I not longer use any net-misc/*dhcp* package.
21 > >
22 > > Regards.
23 >
24 > Is this server-related? I have only simple workstations/laptops and I
25 > don't enable systemd-networkd at all. It seems that NetworkManager
26 > takes care of both wired and wireless without assistance (including
27 > dhcp).
28
29 In latptops/workstations NetworkManager takes care of everything. However,
30 I still enable systemd-networkd and systemd-resolved in my laptop and
31 workstations. If enabled without any configuration, it just monitors the
32 network interfaces and keeps them "in the loop" for the rest of the system
33 to know about them from a central registry. It doesn't interfere with
34 NetworkManager (or any other network management program for that matter).
35
36 It's not mandatory to enable them either. However, there were advantages to
37 doing so; for example, in my laptop, systemd-timesyncd would try to sync
38 the clock only if there was a network connection available.
39
40 Regards.
41 --
42 Canek Peláez Valdés
43 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias