From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Issue 3 - CD Playing
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 23:52:35
1 Colleen Beamer wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > I have googled this problem and tried everything and can't seem to
5 > resolve the issue.
6 >
7 > My CD drive will read data CD's, but will not play audio CD's. I've
8 > tried with kscd and Kaffeine. Haven't installed amarok yet. I've
9 > checked and rechecked my settings in the kernel. In /dev cdrom is a
10 > symlink to sr0. Nothing I've read in anything that came up in my google
11 > search helped.
12 >
13 > Oops! Forgot to add this to my original message:
14 >
15 > When I try to play an audio CD in kaffeine, I get an alert box that says:
16 > Cannot find input plgin for MRL "cdda://"
17 >
18 > cdda is one of my USE flags. I have tried upgrading phonon-gstreamer
19 > 'cause I read somewhere that the problem might be with phonon.
20 >
21 > Any ideas?
22 >
23 > Regards,
24 >
25 > Colleen
26 >
27 > ------------------
34 OK. It is silly things like this that bites me in the rear. Is your
35 user added to the cdrom or similar groups?
36
37 One thing you could try, run the program as root in a terminal, Konsole
38 here for me. That will eliminate a permissions issue real quick and you
39 can look for errors too. If it works, then it is just a permissions
40 problem. If it doesn't work, then it is something with the program
41 itself or hardware related. Let's hope for the permissions one. It's
42 easier to fix and you don't have to take the sides off the puter
43 either. If it is the program, well, who knows when that could get fixed.
44
45 Ma'am. < tips hat >
46
47 Dale