From: Ricardo Saffi Marques <saffi@××××××××××××××.br>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problems installing Gentoo on an Asus EeePC 701
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:47:32
1 Hello folks. I have an Asus EeePC 701 (4GB) and I'm having problems
2 installing Gentoo on it, so I wrote this giant e-mail to help you
3 understand what is going on and what I have done and can't do.
4 I have been using Gentoo for a while, so I am pretty comfortable on
5 installing it and configuring it.
6
7 "Disks" on my Eee:
8 Internal Flash (4GB): /dev/sda1 -> Ubuntu 8.04 (blergh, not for long) :-)
9 SD Card (8GB): /dev/sdb1 -> Gentoo 2.6.25-gentoo-r7
10
11 The Gentoo system is ready. I mean, it is still text-mode only, but I
12 have some ideas about the other stuff to be installed, continue reading,
13 please. :-)
14 The problem is that I just can't boot the system. At first, I thought I
15 had forgotten something when configuring the kernel. But I gave up that
16 idea since me and a friend of mine re-checked it many times.
17 I have installed Gentoo's grub on the MBR of /dev/sda, since I intend to
18 remove Ubuntu later. The kernel hangs because it can't find /dev/sdb1
19 [1]. The system I consider a minimum usable text-mode system is already
20 installed, configured and even up-to-date.
21 I have tried a lot of different things. I tried booting Gentoo using the
22 Ubuntu kernel. Sound reasonable, but Ubuntu's initrd (which later I
23 realized is the one that recognizes my "disks") already mount /proc and
24 when Gentoo's RC comes up it "oops" because of /proc [2]. Since booting
25 Ubuntu's kernel is just temporary, I won't edit the init.d script that
26 mounts /proc on Gentoo. Anyway.
27 By-the-way, something that is worth mentioning. When booting Ubuntu's
28 kernel, it sometimes (not always) hangs at this point [3]. It stays
29 there for four to five MINUTES, sometimes. But some other times is just
30 goes straight. Even when "hanging" there for a while, it always passed
31 that and boots the system. Also happens when trying to boot Gentoo with
32 Ubuntu's kernel.
33
34 I have done tons of online research, but what I found is people that
35 successfully installed Gentoo on the EeePC.
36 I've read and bookmarked these links [4] [5] "just in case", but so far
37 they didn't help me at all.
38
39 [1]: http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/~saffi/eee/Gentoo-Kernel_Gentoo.jpg
40 [2]: http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/~saffi/eee/Gentoo-Kernel_Ubuntu.jpg
41 [3]: http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/~saffi/eee/Gentoo-Kernel_Ubuntu2.jpg
42 [4]: http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/Asus_Eee_PC_701
43 [5]:
44 http://www.floccinaucinihilipilification.net/wiki/index.php/Gentoo_on_the_EEE_Pc
45
46 I have ideas about installing the graphical system and other stuff
47 later. I intend to share the ideas and will as soon as my basic system
48 boots. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!
49
50 Best regards,
51
52 Saffi
55 Ricardo Saffi Marques
56 http://www.rsaffi.com
58 Laboratory of System Administration and Security - LAS
59 Institute of Computing - IC
60 P.O. Box: 6176
61 University of Campinas - UNICAMP
62 13083-852, Campinas, SP, Brazil