From: hkml@×××××××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Still not feeling familiar with emerge
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 02:15:47
1 Hi Alan,
2
3 thanks for your reply and sorry for the late response (I was kind of offline).
4
5 > Everything above this line is fascinating but completely unrelated to your
6 > post. Please omit such in future
7 I just wanted to motivate that I didn't just install gentoo and then ask my
8 questions immediately without trying to solve them by myself. But okay: no
9 social 1.0 here^C
10
11 >> For me some of the messages are mysterious. What is e.g. the exact meaning
12 >> of the four components in
13 >> ('ebuild', '/', 'net-wireless/bluez-4.39-r2', 'merge') or
14 >> ('installed', '/', 'kde-base/akregator-3.5.10', 'nomerge')
15 >
16 > It's just a statement that something will be merged, followed by the packages
17 > that caused it to be merged. It's all usually of the form
18 >
19 > "exact package" pulled in by
20 > "package spec from an ebuild"
21 > pulled in by
22 > "something else"
23 Okay, but what does e.g. the second component '/' in the above messages mean?
24 The first component probably denotes, if the packet is already installed or
25 about to be installed, but what is the 'merge' vs. 'nomerge' thing?
26
27 >> How should I resolve the conflict...
28 > Actually, you removed the relevant part of the output and didn't post it, so
29 > now we can't help you.
30 Yes, sorry for that.
31
32 > Please repost the full output.
33 Thanks for the offer, but the full output was extremely long. I was in a fatal
34 mood last weekend and decided to backup my gentoo system and then to cleanup
35 like you proposed. It took till today.
36
37 > When you identify the blocker, you have to ask yourself some intelligent
38 > questions, like:
39 >
40 > portage wants to merge packages A and B, but the ebuilds say that A and B
41 > cannot be installed together. What is pulling in A and what is pulling in B,
42 > and why? It might be a hard dependency, it might be a USE flag issue, it might
43 > be that the package is in world. Also learn how to read ebuilds
44 Well, just to give you an example: when solving the blocking states last weekend,
45 emerge told me about a conflict between e2fsck and whatsoever other package. So I
46 again tried to solve that by trying to uninstall e2fsck, see what happens and
47 then reinstall again before the next boot process. And that's exactly what I did
48 the last time, when I left my system unusable. After uninstalling you can't emerge,
49 scp or mount anything because of missing dynamic library libcom_err.so.2. Emerge gives you a
50 warning, when you try to unmerge, but it doesn't say that it's simply committing suicide.
51
52 > Inspect you world file and unmerge everything related the KDE-3.5. Then run a
53 > --depclean o remove dependencies not in world, then run emerge -uND world and
54 > double check that nothing kde-3.5 related is pulled in. Rinse and repeat till
55 > this is true.
56 I tried the --depclean/-uND world stuff and later on several packets failed building
57 because they were missing my kernel tree. I had to copy it from the backup. Strange.
58
59 >> Maybe someone can explain how to proceed best. Are there some things I can
60 >> check using equery or whatsoever to support my decisions? I'm feeling
61 >> unsure how to handle these problems keeping the risk to leave my system
62 >> (partially) unusable as small as possible. Maybe someone can give me a
63 >> hint, where to find more information about how to handle conflicts in the
64 >> packaging system.
65 >
66 > Before anyone explains to you how to drive gentoo, you should help yourself
67 > first:
68 >
69 > 1. Re-read the install document. All of it. Maybe read it three times.
70 >
71 > 2. Read the man pages, all of them, several times. You can find this list
72 > with"equery files portage" and looking for files under "/usr/share/man"
75 > There is no easy way through this, you have to understand how portage and it's
76 > builds work and that involves study on your part.
77 Well, I didn't ask for getting explained how to drive gentoo. It's running for
78 several years now, but I'm aware that I'm simply using emerge without understanding
79 some details. I asked for some info (e.g. best practices or examples) or some
80 hints where I can find more than in the man pages. I want to understand better
81 how portage works, but I don't find it easy to get the knowledge from reading the
82 manpages (how often soever).
83
84 Cheers, Heinz