From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and initramfs
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 06:21:06
1 On Wed, August 21, 2013 22:02, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:50:57 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >
4 >> > This sounds like a bug in LVM. If it was down to a version clash, why
5 >> > did a restart find the PVs?
6 >>
7 >> Sorry, ianap, but I do know that this kind of thing has never happened
8 >> to me in my 8+ years of running this old system with a separate /usr
9 >> *without* an initramfs...
10 >
11 > Which proves absolutely nothing. For all we know you don't use LVM either.
12
13 True, except that I have been using LVM for that long with a seperate LVM.
14 My partition scheme used to look like:
15 1) /boot (100M)
16 2) / (500M)
17 3) swap (whatever seemed logical)
18 4) LVM (rest)
19
20 And then the larger parts in seperate LVs. This always worked for me and I
21 never had any issues with any programs running on my machines.
22 As it looks like we are being forced to use an initramfs if /usr is
23 seperate, I decided to use the following partitioning:
24 1) /boot (300M)
25 2) LVM (rest)
26
27 And simply put everything into LVM.
28
29 >> So, the bottom line is, obviously (to me at least), there are a lot
30 >> more things that can go wrong when an initramfs is involved, that
31 >> simply don't or can't happen otherwise.
32 >
33 > I'd take issue with "a lot" but there are things that can go wrong with
34 > an initramfs (but this wasn't one of them, it was PEBKAC) just as there
35 > are things that can go wrong when you use a separate /usr without an
36 > initramfs.
37
38 I agree with the PEBKAC, but a simple method to identify when the
39 initramfs is out-of-sync with userland tools would help. Preferably
40 something integrated into portage that puts out a warning when a package
41 that has parts in the initramfs is updated mentions that the initramfs is
42 out-of-sync.
43
44 >> >> And this is *precisely* what scares me about this.
45 >> >>
46 >> >> This simply should not be, period. Support for separate /usr without
47 >> >> initramfs simply SHOULD NOT be dropped unless/until things like this
48 >> >> (updating lvm) can *never* cause a system to fail to boot like
49 >> >> this.
50 >
51 > No one has demonstrated that it can. An initramfs isn't magic, it
52 > caries out a couple of trivial tasks before switching to the real root
53 > partition.
54
55 The issue mentioned was an example. It was also:
56 1) The only one I can remember from the last 4 or 5 years
57 2) Easily avoided with a "rebuild initramfs" notice during upgrade
58
59 > Yes, an initramfs adds an extra step to the boot process, but so does
60 > having a separate /usr in the first place. I think that if you took the
61 > time to understand what an initramfs is and does instead of making an
62 > emotional reaction to it, you would see that this is no big deal.
63
64 I think part of the "problem" with it is that the documentation about it
65 isn't clear. There are tools (genkernel / dracut /..? ) that can automate
66 the generation of it. But it isn't clear what exactly it is doing.
67 If there would be a clear guide on how to do it manually, or a tool that
68 would assist in building the file(s) needed to have it build into the
69 kernel, then it might be more acceptable to some.
70
71 I currently use genkernel, simply because it works-for-me and I haven't
72 had the time to investigate how to get my setup supported with an
73 in-kernel version.
74
75 >> > This is irrelevant to separate /usr. an initramfs is required if / is
76 >> > on a VM, whether or not /usr is on the same LV.
77 >>
78 >> Sorry, I don't see where he said that this system was running on a
79 >> VM... or did you mean where he had / on an *LVM* partition - which,
80 >> again, he did not say he had.
81 >
82 > Sorry, I meant LV.
83
84 The person with the issue did not mention having / on LVM.
85
86 I also never had any issues with /usr on LVM while / was not.
89 Joost