From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] MacBook Pro oops with gentoo-sources-4.9.6-r1
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2017 18:06:43
1 On Tuesday 07 Feb 2017 08:54:30 Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 12:47 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Hi All,
4 > >
5 > > Just as I thought I was getting on top of my Gentoo installation on a
6 > > MacBook, a new kernel oops unpleasantly, although it manages to boot into
7 > > a Gnome desktop eventually. No wireless is available (broadcom-sta
8 > > proprietary drive is used). Shutting down/rebooting is a hit and miss
9 > > operation. Invariably I have to hold the power button to force it to
10 > > shut down. Shutting the lid does not put it to sleep but goes into some
11 > > race condition with the fans spinning like mad. The screen is black
12 > > thereafter until I force it to shutdown.
13 > >
14 > > Previous kernel 4.4.9 had no such problems.
15 > >
16 > > I attach the log output. Please let me know if you want to see the kernel
17 > > .config too.
18 > >
19 > > --
20 > > Regards,
21 > > Mick
22 >
23 > You could either try a more recent kernel, the current stable kernel
24 > upstream being 4.9.8. Chances are this oops may have been fixed there.
25 >
26 > Otherwise, you could report this oops to the Gentoo kernel devs with
27 > more info on where the oops happened supplied. See the
28 > oops-tracing.txt doc available here,
29 > https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/plain/D
30 > ocumentation/oops-tracing.txt?id=refs/tags/v4.9.8, for details on how to do
31 > this.
32 >
33 > Hope this helps.
34
35 Thanks Alexander, I emerged 4.9.8 and it now boots fine, shows no oops and
36 shuts down without any drama. :-)
37 --
38 Regards,
39 Mick