From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Random-access cross-platform FS_backup tool suggestions
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 04:53:00
1 Hello,
2
3 It seems that tar/gzip/bzip2 are almost universal solutions for
4 unix-like system backups and we're using tar/gz combo to create backups
5 from the dawn of times.
6 But as the time goes by I stumble upon two misfits of such a combination
7 more and more:
8
9 1. It's quite inpractical to keep tens of tarballs for one backup.
10 2. Seeking within single tens-hundreds-of-gigs tarball is suboptimal,
11 at least.
12 3. Single thread operation.
13
14 At home, being a gentoo-only user (w/ gentoo-patched kernels), I've
15 solved the problem with squashfs - it keeps all the necessary
16 attributes, hardlinks, boasts multi-threaded creation and instant
17 access to any file within.
18
19 Alas, I can't use it on a production servers due to compatibility
20 issues - not a single linux here have support for it and changing
21 / patching kernels is a bit of nuisance. Even worse, many systems that
22 need to be backed-up are FreeBSD.
23
24 So I thought there's gotta be something that fits these criterias, but
25 so far I've found only "dar" and it seems quite slow and a bit unsuited
26 for these needs.
27
28 Any suggestions?
29 Thanks.