From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc 7.3 + kernel 4.15 = spectre_v2 fixed
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 11:20:56
1 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, if you're running a local process that is trying to attack you,
4 > you've been compromised already, imo.
5
6 By your definition, you are compromised if you surf to the
7 wrong webpage with enabled javascript.
8
9 While this is arguably true, I would distinguish between various
10 degree of compromise and would prefer if nevertheless such webpages
11 would not be able to e.g. read the secret keys of a running gnupg
12 process.
13
14 > So, unless you're running some kind of server that offers execution time
15 > to clients
16
17 ... or use your browser with not always disabled javascript ...
18
19 > and the few packages that run untrusted code.
20
21 You misunderstand: For the packages which run the code, the mitigations
22 like retpoline do not help much. It is the packages which _somehow_
23 react (or can be called) by such a code which need the protection by
24 retpoline built-in.
25 And this is an awful lot of packages since it includes also all libraries
26 which are possibly used by these packages, language interpreters used by
27 these packages, etc. If in doubt, I would re-emerge the
28 full -e @world with corresponding compiler switches enabled.
29
30 Of course, rebuilding @world without changing your C*FLAGS before
31 would be pointless.