From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unwelcomed non-native language support
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 00:08:27
1 On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Am 28.05.2015 um 17:35 schrieb gevisz:
4 >> In my everyday work at the computer, I read
5 >> and type at three or even four different languages.
6 >>
7 >> However, I do want to have all program menues
8 >> and system messages only in English.
9 >>
10 >> So, when I found out that it can be achieved by
11 >> setting -nls USE flag at my make.conf file, I did
12 >> it, recompiled the system and for a few weeks
13 >> enjoyed the full control of my Gentoo system.
14 >>
15 >> (As far as I can remember the gettext package
16 >> was successfully depcleaned from my Gentoo
17 >> system just after that.)
18 >>
19 >> However, after those few weeks (and some system
20 >> updates), I have noticed that my system started
21 >> to translate some "system" messages into one of
22 >> the languages I use but which is not my native language.
23 >>
24 >> Moreover, running
25 >> $ equery depends gettext
26 >> I get about two fullscreens of packages that supposedly
27 >> depend on gettext. Nevertheless, in all of them the -nls
28 >> USE flag is either unset or absent.
29 >>
30 >> I have tried to depclean the gettext package from my
31 >> system once again but portage just ignored my
32 >> $ emerge --depclean gettext
33 >> command.
34 >>
35 >> I think that it is some kind of a bug in the portage tree:
36 >> when I set -nls USE flag globally, I do expect that the "system"
37 >> messages will appear in English only and will not be translated
38 >> in any other language, but the system understands that as
39 >> I would have asked for a "non-native" language support.
40 >>
41 >> Of course, this is not my main problem in this life, but every
42 >> time I get the "system" messages translated into my non-native
43 >> language, I feel as I get a reminder that I do not have a full
44 >> control of my Gentoo system.
45 >>
46 >> So, my questions are:
47 >> 1. Is it a bug?
48 >> 2. How can I get rid of those unwelcomed translations in the right way.
52 > 1. if a package hard depends on gettext, you can fiddle around with
53 > useflags as much as you want, it won't change. Not a bug. Just the way
54 > it is.
55
56 Sometimes it is a bug and the ebuild doesn't need gettext
57 unconditionally. It takes some expertise to figure that out, however.
58
59 > 2. environment variables. Set them. LANG, LANGUAGE and of course LC_ALL
62 I would suggest setting LANG=foo_BAR.UTF-8 and
63 LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8. Where foo and BAR are your native language
64 and locale.