From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need to turn on wireless
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 03:05:16
1 On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 6:41 PM, luis jure <ljc@××××××××××××.uy> wrote:
2 > on 2011-07-18 at 18:17 Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >>   What sort of apps are available to discover a public network ESSID?
6 >>Something GUI based would be appreciated if it's in portage.
7 >
8 > i got good results with wicd in the past. i got it to work fine on a
9 > gentoo laptop for exactly what you need, if understood your mail correctly.
10 >
11 > i don't have a laptop anymore, and on my netbook i have xubuntu. they use
12 > network-manager as a default. wicd is lighter and works fine, but
13 > network-manager has the advantage of working with mobile broadband, while
14 > wicd doesn't. but i never could make network-manager work on gentoo...
19 Thanks, wicd seems to work well enough to show me the networks in my
20 neighborhood. I'll have to figure out how to connect to one when I get
21 to my destination tomorrow night.
22
23 Cheers,
24 Mark