From: Steven Susbauer <stupendoussteve@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Asking dhcp for a static address
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 08:31:55
1 A static IP address is something you have to configure on the DHCP
2 server, on the computer it just asks the server "What IP address am I
3 supposed to have?". If you're set up with a static IP, it compares your
4 mac address to a list and gives you the one you've assigned to it. The
5 client side doesn't do anything out of the ordinary.
6
7 Sergio Polini wrote:
8 > I can't understand how to ask dhcp for a static address.
9 > I've read /etc/conf.d/net.example, but using
10 >
11 > config_eth0=( <IPaddress> netmask <netmask> brd <broadcast>)
12 >
13 > in /etc/conf.d/net configures my network interface _instead of_ asking
14 > dhcp (the files in /var/lib/dhcpc are not updated).
15 >
16 > If I use
17 >
18 > dhcpcd_eth0="-s <IPaddress>"