From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dd'ing small drive to large one
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:08:07
1 Allan Gottlieb writes:
2
3 > On Mon, Jan 31 2011, Alex Schuster wrote:
4
5 > > There is a PC with a 160 GB SATA drive, and I want to replace it with
6 > > one of about 1 TB in size. Would this work?
7 > >
8 > > - attach 2nd drive via SATA port or USB->SATA convertor
9 > > - boot from rescue CD
10 > > - dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
11 > > - remove sda, attach sdb to where sda was
12 > > - reboot
13 > > - add other partitions or enlarge the last one
14 > >
15 > > I do not expect problems, but I'm not entirely sure. Maybe the
16 > > different drive geometry would have an effect on file system or at
17 > > least to the Grub boot loader?
18 >
19 > Won't dd'ing the whole disk will make the 1TB disk a 160GB disk.
20
21 Not really. Yes, the current partitioning scheme will not make more than the
22 160G available. But this can be changed easily later, all I need to do is
23 call fdisk and add partitions. Or resize the last one.
24
25 > I would partition the TB disk as you like and
26 > do a tar or rsync on each partition of the original.
27 >
28 > Some care would be needed for /dev and I don't think things like /proc
29 > should be copied.
30
31 But that's much more complicated than just using dd or Ghost. It involves
32 using a Linux rescue CD, mounting several file systems, using the right
33 cp/tar/rsync syntax, and installing a new boot loader. With me telling the
34 guy via phone what he has to type.
35 If it's really necessary, oh well, than it has to be done. But if dd'ing the
36 drive would work, I would vermy much prefer this.
37
38 Wonko