From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can not mount USB stick as user
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 21:01:26
1 On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 02/05/14 14:02, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> On 02/05/14 13:06, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>>
9 >>>> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>> [ humongous snip ]
12 >>>>
13 >>>>>> 4. Using systemd is more than just emerging it; you need to change
14 >>>>>> your init= line in grub-legacy or GRUB2 and reboot. The contents of
15 >>>>>> /proc/1/comm is "systemd"?
16 >>>>>
17 >>>>>
18 >>>>>
19 >>>>> I only have this:
20 >>>>> cat /proc/1/comm
21 >>>>> init
22 >>>>
23 >>>>
24 >>>>
25 >>>> [ snip ]
26 >>>>
27 >>>>> systemctl --all --full
28 >>>>> Failed to get D-Bus connection: No connection to service manager.
29 >>>>>
30 >>>>> loginctl
31 >>>>> Failed to issue method call: Launch helper exited with unknown return
32 >>>>> code 1
33 >>>>
34 >>>>
35 >>>>
36 >>>> Joseph, you are not running systemd. You have systemd *installed*, but
37 >>>> you are still *running* OpenRC. Therefore, your system is obviously
38 >>>> going to fail, since at least some parts of it believe you are running
39 >>>> systemd when you are not.
40 >>>>
41 >>>> If you use GRUB, you need to change its config file and add the
42 >>>> following to your kernel command line:
43 >>>>
44 >>>> init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
45 >>>>
46 >>>> If you are using GRUB2, change /etc/default/grub and modify
47 >>>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX so it has "init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd". Then run
48 >>>> grub2-mkconfig again.
49 >>>>
50 >>>> Beware, systemd requires some kernel config options set or it will not
51 >>>> work. For systemd 208, these are:
52 >>>>
53 >>>> AUTOFS4_FS
54 >>>> BLK_DEV_BSG
55 >>>> CGROUPS
56 >>>> DEVTMPFS
57 >>>> DMIID
58 >>>> EPOLL
59 >>>> FANOTIFY
60 >>>> FHANDLE
61 >>>> INOTIFY_USER
62 >>>> IPV6
63 >>>> NET
64 >>>> PROC_FS
65 >>>> SECCOMP
66 >>>> SIGNALFD
67 >>>> SYSFS
68 >>>> TIMERFD
69 >>>>
70 >>>> Also, the following kernel config options should *NOT* be set:
71 >>>>
72 >>>> IDE
73 >>>> SYSFS_DEPRECATED
74 >>>> SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2
75 >>>> GRKERNSEC_PROC
76 >>>>
77 >>>> Lastly, if you have /usr in a different partition from /, you *need*
78 >>>> an initramfs (this is now true also for OpenRC). Please check the
79 >>>> instructions set in:
80 >>>>
81 >>>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd
82 >>>>
83 >>>> To finish, let me remark that systemd never had problems in your
84 >>>> system. The problem was that you were not running systemd.
85 >>>>
86 >>>> Regards.
87 >>>> --
88 >>>> Canek Peláez Valdés
89 >>>> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
90 >>>> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
91 >>>
92 >>>
93 >>>
94 >>> Thank you for correction. You are correct I would need to switch to new
95 >>> systemd.
96 >>> I think for now I'll go back to udev as I'm afraid something might not
97 >>> work
98 >>> after switching :-/
101 >> Why don't you give it a try? You are almost there.
102 >>
103 >> When booting, edit the grub entry and add
104 >> init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd. If it works, great; otherwise, you
105 >> reboot and get back to where you were.
106 >>
107 >> Regards.
108 >> --
109 >> Canek Peláez Valdés
110 >> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
111 >> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
114 > I've tried to switch my backup system to systemd by adding line
115 > init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd to grub donfig and as I suspected the system
116 > did not boot. I got a kernel paanic.
117 > can not open root device "hda3" or unknown block (0,0): error -6
118
119 It probably could be fixed, but it will take time and info about your
120 system (partition arrangement, if you use or not an initramfs, how do
121 you created it, etc.)
122
123 Perhaps you would prefer to get back to OpenRC+udev. Just be aware
124 that, if you had installed systemd, it was because something requires
125 it. If you don't use systemd, you will have degraded functionality,
126 since more and more things require systemd or parts of it
127 (specifically logind). This not only applies to GNOME 3, but also to
128 Xfce (which uses a lot of GNOME/Gtk+/glib infrastructure). KDE is also
129 analyzing how to better use systemd provided technologies.
130
131 You can try to set USE="-systemd consolekit" and do a emerge -uDNv
132 world. That will bring back much (but not all) of the functionality;
133 just be aware that ConsoleKit is unmaintained and it will eventually
134 bitrot.
135
136 Regards.
137 --