From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] WAN->laptop1->router->laptop2 : no laptop1<->router communication
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 21:30:46
1 My laptop is connected to a distant wireless signal with a strong
2 antenna and I'd like to create a local wireless LAN using the distant
3 wireless signal as the WAN. The layout would look something like
4 this:
5
6 WAN->(wireless)->laptop1->(ethernet)->router->(wireless)->laptop2
7
8 My travel router is wireless, has a LAN port, and can operate in
9 Router, Client, or AP mode. I think AP mode is what I want. laptop2
10 can ping the router, but it can't ping laptop1. laptop1 can't ping
11 the router. I don't know what my communication problem is between the
12 router and laptop1. Here is my eth0 config for laptop1:
13
14 config_eth0=( "192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255" )
15
16 The travel router is in AP mode and configured like this:
17
18 IP: 192.168.0.30
19 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
20 Gateway: 192.168.0.1
21
22 I have dnsmasq and shorewall on laptop1 for DNS and NAT, but I can't
23 use those until I get laptop1 talking to the router. Does anyone see
24 what I'm doing wrong?
25
26 - Grant