From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 19:27:10
1 >>> [...] what would be the best way to defrag it?
2 >>
3 >> By not defragging it.
4 >>
5 >> It's not Windows. Windows boxes needs defragging not because fragmentation
6 >> is a huge problem in itself, but because windows filesystems are a steaming
7 >> mess of cr@p that do little right and most things wrong. Defrag treats the
8 >> symptom, not the cause :-)
9 >
10 > I don't buy into that argument and never did. Every few months I copy the
11 > whole HD to another one and then back to counter fragmentation (ext3) and
12 > the system becomes noticeably faster after doing it (speed increase in
13 > emerge --sync for example.) Maybe it's not fragmentation but rather related
14 > files being more closely together after I do this.
15
16 How exactly do you copy the files? Be careful not to lose some file
17 property. How about sparse files, for example?
18 AFAIK, you can make a complete backup of a filesytem with (as root,
19 running from another system - such as a liveCD)
20 $ cd /path/to/mountpoint
21 $ tar -cSv -f /path/to/tarball.tar .
22
23 But I am not sure.