From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to minimise resource usage during emerge
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:45:51
1 On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 02:10, Justin <justin@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras schrieb:
3 >>
4 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> [...]
7 >>> The only real option is to get more RAM.
8 >>
9 >> Another option is to emerge on another machine, build binary packages and
10 >> emerge those in the embedded system.
11
12 Yeah, it looks like this is the way to go. I've never used binary
13 packages so this will be an interesting exercise.
14
15 > Or mount / as nfs on another machine, chroot in that and compile. This skips
16 > the whole extraction part on the embedded system.
17
18 Interesting. I'm not sure if I can, though. I don't have control of
19 the kernel. I'll investigate.
20
21 > What about temporary giving the VM more resources?
22
23 Nope, not possible unless I pay more. I had intended to simply use a
24 big swap file but even that doesn't work. This virtual box doesn't
25 support it.