From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Detecting printers at a remote site
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 05:19:40
1 On Sunday 15 June 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Mick,
3 > Thanks for the great write up. I really appreciate it.
4
5 You're welcome. :-)
6
7 > On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > <SNIP>
9 >
10 > > Check first that you allow connections on port 631 at your dad's firewall
11 > > from your mom's IP/MAC address (nmap or nc your dad's address from your
12 > > mom's machine), e.g.:
13 > >
14 > > $ nc -vv -n -z 10.10.10.4 631
15 > > (UNKNOWN) [10.10.10.4] 631 (ipp) open
16 > > sent 0, rcvd 0
17 >
18 > I don't have nc and so far cannot find what package might contain it.
19 > Can you check that for me and I'll emerge but nmap seems to say port
20 > 631 on gandlaf (the server) is open:
21
22 You want netcat (net-analyzer/netcat), or one of the telnet packages, but nmap
23 does the job. As shown below there's no firewall blocking port 631 on your
24 dad's machine.
25
26 > DesertFlower ~ # nmap gandalf
27 >
28 > Starting Nmap 4.60 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2008-06-15 11:10 PDT
29 > Interesting ports on Gandalf (192.168.1.2):
30 > Not shown: 1713 closed ports
31 > PORT STATE SERVICE
32 > 22/tcp open ssh
33 > 631/tcp open ipp
34 > MAC Address: 00:26:54:11:0F:BC (3Com)
35 >
36 > Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.389 seconds
37 > DesertFlower ~ #
38 >
39 > >> > What commands can I run from the command line to see whether a
40 > >> >printer is available? My parents are not terribly computer literate
41 > >> >(who is in their 80's) so I need to ensure this is really working
42 > >> >before I tell them to use it.
43 > >
44 > > $ lpstat -a
45 > >
46 > > will show you any printers that have been configured on your mom's
47 > > machine.
48 >
49 > Unfortunately this is where things die:
50 >
51 > DesertFlower ~ # whoami
52 > root
53 > DesertFlower ~ # lpstat -a
54 > lpstat: Forbidden
55 > DesertFlower ~ #
56 >
57 > so solving this issue will likely start to open other things up.
58 >
59 > I've managed to get CUPS configured on their print server and my mom's
60 > machine such that she can see the printer, but when I try to print a
61 > test page I get a 403 Forbidden page which I'm assuming for now is
62 > CUPS version of the lpstat -a error message.
63 >
64 > Can you tell me whether the lpstat:Forbidden is saying the remote
65 > machine (my mom's) cannot use lpstat at all or does this mean the
66 > print server (my dad's machine) isn't allowing connections?
67
68 Yes, I would look again at the LAN IP addresse(s) that you have allowed
69 connections from in the cupsd.conf file(s).
70 --
71 Regards,
72 Mick