From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] monitor acting strangely when gdm starts
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 19:46:39
1 Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > Mick writes:
4 >
5 > > On Sunday 20 February 2011 14:20:56 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
6 >
7 > > Oh I see. You've upgraded xorg, but not your kernel ... ?
8 > >
9 > > If this is the case, then downgrade xorg-server back to 1.7 version.
10 >
11 > X.org 1.7 has been masked, and will be removed from the portage tree in
12 > four weeks. Sure, you can keep the ebuilds in the local overlay, but I
13 > fear this will lead to trouble eventually.
14 >
15 > I will do this for a while, too, but one day I will have to deal with
16 > it. This X stuff is really giving me great trouble. Or maybe I will just
17 > give up and get another graphics card, my on-board Radeon HD3200 does
18 > not seem to be supported well. But then, I am having trouble with X
19 > since I am using Linux, there were only few, short periods of time when
20 > X just worked.
21 Well, I could not even downgrade to 1.7 -- when I did and started gdm, I
22 lost my keyboard -- I had to login from somewhere else and do chvt to
23 get out. Maybe this was because of hal or something, not sure. I have
24 in my backups an ebuild for 1.9.2.902 which seems to work in preliminary
25 testing whereas 1.9.4 did not work at all with this kernel.
26
27 X stuff is sure quirky.
31 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
32 How do
33 you spend it?
34
35 John Covici