From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Basic questions about Distcc
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2017 19:30:20
1 On Fri, Nov 03, 2017 at 06:54:49PM +0200, Lasse Pouru wrote
2 > I have a bunch of old laptops that large builds such as texlive
3 > and ghc fail on, I'm assuming because of insufficient memory and
4 > disk space. If I've understood correctly, with Distcc I could build
5 > everything on my main desktop PC and have the binaries transferred
6 > through network? How does this work, exactly, and is it a lot of
7 > work to set up? I currently have no networking devices besides a
8 > single modem/router, would something more be required?
9
10 My experiences with booby traps...
11
12 * on the "old laptops" do *NOT* set "-march=native". They'll dispatch
13 that flag to the compiler host, which will build "native" for the
14 compiler host... oops. Instead, specify the the exact arch on the
15 client. The compiler host will then build for that arch. How do you
16 figure out the client's arch, you ask? *ON THE CLIENT* (i.e. the old
17 laptop) run the command...
18
19 gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march=
20
21 ...and stick the result into "-march=" on the client
22
23 * 32-bit clients should have a 32-bit build host. If necessary, use a
24 32-bit QEMU VM or a 32-bit chroot on a 64-bit host.
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
28 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications