From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [Preliminary report] Gnome-3.8 update works with openrc :)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 01:05:20
1 As I posted in another thread, after successfully updating to gnome-3.8
2 on a virtual gentoo machine that's been running systemd for months, I
3 tackled my openrc gentoo virtual machine just to see if I could do it.
4
5 I just did it :) Gnome-3.8 is running on the openrc machine without
6 running systemd at all.
7
8 However, gnome-3.8 *does* require systemd to be installed because it
9 has officially replaced the udev project. (All of the udev files are
10 now installed by the systemd package.)
11
12 Also, very important, you must set the systemd useflag globally or the
13 conflicts between packages and useflags will drive you insane (like me).
14
15 Another problem I've noted is that I've had a few unexplained freezes
16 when the VBox guests are running kernel 3.10.3, and backing down to
17 kernel 3.9.11-r1 seems to avoid those, but that's just my impression,
18 nothing more. (I'm running 3.9.11-gentoo-r1 on both host machines because
19 the ati-drivers and nvidia-drivers won't compile against 3.10.x the
20 last time I checked.)
21
22 Please note: I have done only superficial testing on the openrc machine,
23 and I would not recommend that you try this trick on any machine you
24 really need to be solid! This is just me playing around with stuff
25 that is not supported by the gentoo devs. Be warned!
26
27 I'm going to test cinnamon next, and I'll post results in a day or
28 two.