From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can I clean contacts with isopropyl alcohol?
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:44:20
1 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Hi. I have instability in my PC and I highly suspect it is caused by hardware
5 problems in my TV card. I would like to clean its contacts
6
7 If you have some corrosion, or scale build up, alcohol may not work. For
8 tougher issues on cleaning electrical surfaces, go to a hardware store
9 and get 'steel wool'. It is a disorganized bundle if very fine metal
10 fibers that can be used to clean gold, stainless, glass, copper, tin
11 or just about any other surface you can image.
12
13 Make sure you put an air compressor on the card after using steel wool to
14 remove all of those micro sized particles both from the surface of the newly
15 cleaned contacts as well as over the entire surface of the PCB (circuit board).
16
17 Also if the bus slot is dirty or corroded, find and old card and insert it and
18 remove it about 5 times to try to clean the contacts inside the buss slot. Also
19 use compressed air to clean out the buss slot. For compressed air, you can buy
20 it in a can, or get a small card tire compressor, or even a 12VDC air pump that
21 home owners use to fill up inflatable toys around the hose. I attach a needle
22 for filling a backetball ball so that you get strong air pressure, at the tiny
23 tip for cleaning up computers, keyboards and PCBs.
24
25 good luck,
26
27 James