From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tethering an htc incredible
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 22:09:43
1 On Thursday 16 Jun 2011 15:38:30 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2 > I have an htc incredible and want to use it to act as a modem for my
3 > gentoo laptop.
4 >
5 > The htc manual says that I first must install htc sync.
6 > When I go to the htc web site, I find that htc sync is only available
7 > for ms windows.
8
9 I wouldn't think that this is necessary unless you want to sync contacts,
10 messages, etc. Opensync may work with that phone - but I do know for sure.
13 > I believing others on this group have tethered their incredibles and I
14 > wonder how. I see in google some attempts to use wine or other ms
15 > windows emulators / virtualizers.
16 >
17 > I do not need to sync contacts/mail/calendar since I do that with
18 > google.
19 >
20 > I haven't seen any howtos for tethering directly with gentoo.
21
22 I don't have your phone to provide detailed instructions, but this is how I
23 have tethered phones in the past to connect to the Internet using IrDA or
24 Bluetooth.
25
26 1. Establish a connection between your phone and the laptop. I assume you
27 will use Bluetooth for this, so you will need to edit
28 /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf as follows:
29
30 #
31 # RFCOMM configuration file.
32 #
33
34 rfcomm0 {
35 # # Automatically bind the device at startup
36 # bind no;
37 bind yes;
38 # # Bluetooth address of the device
39 # device 11:22:33:44:55:66;
40 device XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX; <--your phone's b'tooth MAC address
41 #
42 # # RFCOMM channel for the connection
43 # channel 1;
44 #channel 1;
45 # # Description of the connection
46 # comment "Example Bluetooth device";
47 comment "HTC Incredible"; <--your phone's name
48 }
49
50 To find the MAC address run hcitool with various parameters like, scan, dev,
51 inq.
52
53 Then create a ppp connection on your PC and point it to /dev/rfcomm0. First
54 check though that the device is being created and if not, check the
55 /etc/conf.d/bluetooth file, this is mine:
56
57 # Bluetooth configuraton file
58
59 # Bind rfcomm devices (allowed values are "true" and "false")
60 RFCOMM_ENABLE=true
61
62 # Config file for rfcomm
63 RFCOMM_CONFIG="/etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf"
66 The tricky part with the ppp connection is using the correct string for
67 running the modem on the phone. On mine I dial up *99# and that activates
68 GPRS on the phone. You may also need special initialisation commands for the
69 phone's modem. Some googling on these specifics should get you there.
70
71 Other than that enable bluetooth on both devices, establish a connection using
72 bluetooth and entering a pin and then run ppp on your laptop. If all goes as
73 expected you should be online.
74 --
75 Regards,
76 Mick