From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Clusters on Gentoo ?
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 19:09:34
1 On 18/08/14 15:31, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > <snip>
3 valid points, and interesting to see the corrections of my
4 understanding, always welcome :)
5 > Looks nice, but is not going to help with performance if the application is
6 > not designed for distributed processing.
7 >
8 > --
9 > Joost
10 >
11 this is the key point i would raise about clusters really -- it would be
12 nice to not need for example distcc configured and just have portage run
13 across all connected nodes without any further work, or to use a tablet
14 computer which is "borrowing" cycles from a GFX card across the network
15 without having to configure nvidia grid: specifically these two use
16 cases have wildly different characteristics and are a great example of
17 why clustering has to be designed first to fit the application and
18 viceversa.
19
20 /me continues to wonder if 10GigE is fast enough to page fault across
21 the network ... ;)