From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot emerge libgksu: lacks XML::Parser
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 09:19:33
1 On 1 Aug 2009, at 04:56, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2
3 > I've got portage's dev-perl/XML-Parser-2.36, but nevertheless several
4 > packages have started to fail during emerge for lack of Perl's
5 > XML::Parser.
6 > Even the simple script fails to run under perl:
7 >> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
8 >>
9 >> use XML::Parser;
10 >>
11 >> print "yes\n";
12 >
13 > Do I have to get it from CPAN?
14
15 Why would you get it from CPAN? Have you tried re-emerging the package?
18 > Consider libgksu; here's the end of the emerge output, where
19 > XML::Parser is required by intltool:
20 >
21 > checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
22 > checking for XML::Parser... configure: error: XML::Parser perl module
23 > is required for intltool
24
25 It's surely saying that because the ebuild or makefile has a test
26 script to see whether XML::Parser is present & working. Just as your
27 `print "yes\n"` is failing so is the test run by the installation
28 scripts, thus preventing install of libgksu.
29
30 It sounds like ABCD is on the right track with his suggestion
31 regarding the "ithreads" USE flag. But in any case you might normally
32 try re-emerging the package and running revdep-rebuild before calling
33 us.
34
35 If I had this problem then - depending on how quick my machine was,
36 how urgently I needed it fixed, and considering one might wait a few
37 hours for a response here - I might well remerge everything with
38 "perl" in the package name or category before becoming too flustered
39 about this. You might well find that does the job.
40
41 Stroller.