From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE slow shutdown
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 13:58:24
1 On Samstag, 3. Mai 2008, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 20 April 2008, Philip Webb wrote:
3 > > 080419 Volker Armin Hemmann & Mick discussed:
4 > > M> a box running vanilla KDE is taking an awful long time
5 > > M> to exit the KDE session when I shutdown.
6 > > VAH> lsof & grep can tell you which files are accessed.
7 > > VAH> Maybe it takes a looong time writing to kdm.log
8 > > VAH> something that sometimes make my shutdowns extremely slow.
9 > > M> How do you mean I need to run lsof?
10 > > VAH> Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a console quickly while KDE is shutting
11 > > down VAH> and run it from there as root. lsof shows the open files. In my
12 > > case, VAH> when shutting down hangs for ages it is always accessing
13 > > kdm.log. VAH> But your problem might me be something completly different.
14 > > VAH> Are you saving sessions?
15 > >
16 > > I've had the same problem for some time.
17 > > There was 1 version of KDE (perhaps 3.5.6/7) which didn't do it,
18 > > but then it started again (now 3.5.9). It saves 11 apps on 10
19 > > desktops, but that shouldn't be taking so long on a fast machine:
20 > > after all, it compiles Kdelibs in 17 min !
21 > > In my case, it isn't kdm.log , as I don't have Kdm installed
22 > > (I use 'startx' from a raw command-line after booting).
23 > >
24 > > One way to find out more would be to file a bug with KDE,
25 > > but I'ld rather not waste their time, if anyone has further advice.
26 >
27 > Back on this machine today. I checked that I am not saving any KDE
28 > sessions. I ran lsof on the console and saw that it was accessing kdm and
29 > some X server files (as expected). Not clever enough to play tunes with
30 > lsof - any particular strings that I should run?
31 >
32 > PS. I also remember that older KDE versions would shut down immediately,
33 > but the last couple of versions take their time.
34 > PPS. On my laptop I don't experience this delay, however, I am running xdm
35 > with Fluxbox and manually run startkde in the very rare occasions that I
36 > want to try something within KDE. So the delay could have something to do
37 > with kdm?
38
39 yes.
40 --