From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slow not in sync movie playing with mplayer2, ffmpeg, x264 with intel core i5
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 03:13:14
1 On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 10:59:27AM +0200, Kfir Lavi wrote
2
3 > I did a compilation from the start. 3 times @system and 1 time @world.
4 > I have used -march=native -mfpmath=sse and now movies do play well.
5 > I'm still not sure why I had this problem.
6 > I did use mmx and sse use flags, but did removed them.
7 > Is it possible that my gcc didn't created good efficient binary before I
8 > used recompiled world?
9 > I really don't think so.
10
11 It's not just the mediaplayer (mplayer/VLC/Xine/whatever). Your entire
12 system needs to be optimized. If you're playing a file from your hard
13 drive, faster disk drive access helps. If you're streaming from the
14 web, faster networking code helps. Most movies have sound. Faster alsa
15 code helps. Video uses the X Window libraries. Speeding them up helps.
16 There are a lot calls to the kernel. Speeding up the kernel helps.
17
18 To summarize... your system uses dozens of libraries to render a movie.
19 Optimizing one library may seem very minor, but it all adds up when you
20 optimize every library on your system.
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>