From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Protecting my server against an individual
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:15:12
1 Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > Ryan Tandy wrote:
3 >
4 >> you're running a firewall of some kind (and you'd be crazy not to for
5 >> any publically accessible box),
6 >
7 > Actually, I'd disagree. If only the necessary publicly accessible services
8 > are running on a box, what good should a "firewal" (I suppose you mean
9 > packet filter, like iptables) do? The only useful measure I can think about,
10 > is to do rate limiting. But what else?
11 >
12 > Alexander Skwar
13
14 Point taken, and agreed with. I retract the "crazy not to" part;
15 however, some netfilter/iptables features can be very handy in limiting
16 access to said services (e.g. dropping all SSH connections not coming
17 from your IP).
18
19 I guess sometimes my Windows days do come back to haunt me... ;)
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list