From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any recommendations for PCI-X SATA cards?
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 22:07:27
1 On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM, <felix@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I need to get a PCI-X SATA card.  Two drives is fine, or 8, even tho I can't fit 8 drives in the box.  This is for bulk storage, so I don't mind if it can only handle 100 Mhz or even less.  My mainboard can't go over 133 Mhz.  They are 64 bit 3.3v slots.
3 >
4 > One thing I don't want is RAID; I will be using LVM to roll my own.  But if a RAID card can handle dissimilar drives in a non-RAID fashion, that's fine by me.
5 >
6 > Running ~amd64.
7
8 I have a couple "MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller" devices I
9 picked up from Newegg a couple years back. They work beautifully.
10
11 They were marked as RAID cards, but it's software raid, and I only
12 wanted them as AHCI SATA controllers anyhow. As it happens, they work
13 in PCI slots as well as PCI-X slots.
17 :wq