From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] local mirrors (summary, leading to more questions)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 08:40:57
1 On Monday, 29 April 2019 22:50:18 BST n952162@×××.de wrote:
2 > But that seems strange - why would I need both GENTOO_MIRRORS and
3 > http_proxy?
4 >
5 > GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://myserver"
6 > http_proxy="http://myserver:3142
7
8 No. Here are my entries in make.conf:
9
10 GENTOO_MIRRORS="
11 https://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/gentoo/
12 http://mirror.bytemark.co.uk/gentoo/
13 https://mirrors.evowise.com/gentoo/
14 http://mirrors.evowise.com/gentoo/
15 https://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/distfiles.gentoo.org/
16 http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/distfiles.gentoo.org/
17 "
18 http_proxy="http://192.168.1.2:3128"
19
20 > Does the http_proxy imply that I'd need a proxy app, like squid.
21
22 Yes; it's meant for people who're sitting behind a firewall and can't see the
23 Internet. The proxy runs on the firewall, and you tell your apps on client
24 machines to use the proxy when they need something via http.
25
26 > Between my client and server, there won't be any appreciable traffic.
27
28 The converse. Your client sends a request to the proxy, giving the destination
29 address; the proxy sends the request on, but itself supplies any bits it
30 already has. Thus, if portage is asking for a large distfile, such as kernel
31 sources, it will come directly from the proxy if it's already been fetched for
32 another machine.
33
34 Don't ask me how the proxy synchronises itself with the current state of the
35 target, as in a complex web page with both static and dynamic objects, because
36 I don't know, not having investigated it - I just use it happily. Sorry :)
39 Regards,
40 Peter.