From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and lvm
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 18:24:08
1 On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Am 12.09.2013 18:22, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
3 >
4 >> Really, whomever is recommending to set CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH is
5 >> probably wrong. I can't find *one* place where it is recommended, and
6 >> several where they explicitly say to leave the option in blank.
7 >
8 > So ... I agree with this.
9 >
10 > What to do about the initial problem then?
11 >
12 > With openrc lvcreate is no problem, with systemd it is ... (for me, on 2
13 > machines).
14
15 Stefan, what initramfs are you using?
16
17 I don't have much experience with LVM; I just installed a Qemu virtual
18 machine with it, and it gave me no problems. But it was a dead simple
19 setup.
20
21 Your setup, however, seems to be rather complicated: you have LVM,
22 LUKS and (if I remember correctly) software RAID?
23
24 In my virtual machine I didn't had to do anything. There are no
25 services for LVM, and there are no scripts doing nothing LVM related.
26 There are a couple of udev rules, which I never touched, and systemd
27 together with that seems to handle everything by itself. I have
28 everything in LVM, including / and /boot (which is inside /).
29
30 Could you please explain how is exactly your layout? From drives to
31 partitions to PVs, VGs and LVs? And throw in there also the LUKS and
32 RAID (if used) setup. I will try to replicate that in a VM. Next week,
33 since we have a holiday weekend coming.
34
35 When I installed my LVM setup, I was surprised to find how easy it
36 was. The only problem I got was to install GRUB2 in /dev/vda, and even
37 that wasn't that difficult, and only qemu related. So perhaps the
38 problem is *moving* LVM machines to systemd, with the cruft from
39 previous OpenRC installations. Perhaps you don't need to *add*
40 anything, but to *remove* things that are not necessary anymore since
41 systemd+dracut handles everything.
42
43 Please explain to me your drive layout, so I can try to replicate it.
44
45 Regards.
46 --
47 Canek Peláez Valdés