From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: firefox 68
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 06:23:56
1 On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 01:20:40AM -0400, james wrote
2
3 > So I want a newer verision of Palemoon, but do not find any sort of
4 > discussion on why we (gentoo) are back at 28.3.0? Is there an overlay
5 > with more recent palemoon releases for gentoo, that I'm missing?
6
7 I don't use the overlay. I prefer to build manually. This goes to
8 way back when to Mozilla 0.91 (showing my age here). If you're not used
9 to doing big builds manually, I recommend downloading the official
10 tarballed executable from palemoon.org. The Mozilla build system, which
11 Pale Moon has inherited, is *NOT* the simple...
12
13 ./configure --with various parameters
14 make
15 make install
16
17 > Any info you can provide, or anyone else, would be keenly appreciated,
18 > including a 'homebrew' updated version/settings/hacks of palemoon on
19 > gentoo....
20
21 You can down load the latest official bzipped Pale Moon tarball from
22 http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/ Make sure that you match
23 32 or 64 bit to your system. You can install anywhere you have write
24 permissions. That includes /usr/local or /opt as root. Or even in your
25 own home directory, which means no root/sudo permissions required. But
26 only the local user will be able to use it.
27
28 E.g. for the 32-bit version...
29
30 mkdir $HOME/pm
31 cd $HOME/pm
32 ( download the bzipped 28.7.1 tarball to this directory )
33 tar xf palemoon-28.7.1.linux-i686.tar.bz2
34
35 You will now have directory $HOME/pm/palemoon/ and you can point
36 whatever program launcher you use at "$HOME/pm/palemoon/palemoon". You
37 can also pass parameters, e.g. profilename. It is self-contained in the
38 "palemoon" directory, and does *NOT* splatter libraries all over the
39 place. This makes manual uninstall+upgrade easy. When 28.7.2 comes
40 along sometime in the future...
41
42 cd $HOME/pm
43 ( download the bzipped 28.7.2 tarball to this directory )
44 killall palemoon
45 rm -rf palemoon
46 tar xf palemoon-28.7.2.linux-i686.tar.bz2
47
48 I currently use only one addon, ANM (Advanced Night Mode) from
49 https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/advanced-night-mode/ It makes surfing
50 a lot easier on my old eyes. I also have multiple profiles open at the
51 same time. The secret is the "-new-instance" option... e.g. something
52 like so in your program launcher...
53
54 palemoon -new-instance -p bitchute
55 palemoon -new-instance -p blogspot
56 palemoon -new-instance -p dslr
57 palemoon -new-instance -p google
58 palemoon -new-instance -p palemoon
59 palemoon -new-instance -p slashdot
60 palemoon -new-instance -p test
61 palemoon -new-instance -p youtube
64 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
65 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications