From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge depclean gcc
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 12:00:17
1 2010/10/21 Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>:
2 >
3 >> May I just unmerge my old gcc ?
4 >> Is it save ?
5 >
6 > Yes it's save to unmerge your old gcc.
7 > You could also - using quickpkg - create a binary package of your old
8 > gcc before unmerging (for backup puropses).
11 From the strictly Gentoo side of things, it's safe (following
12 instructions already posted).
13
14 However, for myself, I use tons of third party physics software, among
15 other things. A lot of it is not very recent, and sometimes they are
16 picky about which gcc compiles is (and sometimes I need a shell script
17 to switch the gcc for execution of those programs and switch back
18 afterward...joy!)
19
20 So if you do a lot of compiling of external programs that are not as
21 well maintained and updated, there's not a lot of reason to *unmerge*
22 an old gcc. There are two reasons to actually remove gcc's in my
23 opinion: revdep-rebuild wants to reinstall all of them, you need the
24 disk space.
25
26 I have 10 options under gcc-config. I'm not at all recommending this
27 to everyone, but just making the point that, depending on what other
28 things you have going on, it's a good idea to check any third party
29 stuff, at the very least, before just removing it, since there's not
30 much harm in keeping a few extra gccs around for rainy days.
31
32 ~daid