From: "Steve [Gentoo]" <gentoo_steve@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Spamassassin
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:45:10
1 I have (the latest) spamassassin 3.1.0 (on Perl 5.8.7) installed on my
2 not-extremely-powerful small-scale Gentoo server (P2-450 with 256Mb RAM
3 and 500Mb swap - not running X) and I'm experiencing a recurring
4 fault... I'm running spamd and using the spamassassin client to
5 re-direct email to it from my systemwide procmail setup (using the
6 recommended | /usr/bin/spamc -f approach with a size limiter to avoid
7 over-burdening spamassassin with any massive emails.)
8
9 Everything seems to work well for a fair while, then the spamd process
10 gets "wedged" - and in spite of there being a near-0 load, and dozens
11 and dozens of messages reported by mailq, none of my mail gets processed
12 in a hurry - and after a long while (maybe every half-an-hour, say) an
13 email is delivered from the head of my mail queue - which has not passed
14 through spamd (according to the headers) - and has no spam-score attached.
15
16 I read some suggestions a long while ago which said that "--round-robin"
17 as an option was a work-around for a bug with the same consequences.
18 My /etc/conf.d/spamd currently has the options:
19
20 SPAMD_OPTS="-m 5 -c -H -l --round-robin"
21
22 However, I still get this problem. I thought that it was related to the
23 length of time the spamd process had been running - so I set a cron job
24 to re-start the server at an unusual time early every morning... but
25 this hasn't been an successful work around either. It now seems that to
26 be triggered by an increased system load - today I ran
27
28 # emerge apache squirrelmail
29
30 then left... when I returned the emerge had long-since completed by my
31 spamd remained "stuck."
32
33 Is this a problem everyone is having? I had no problem like this with
34 the elder (3.0.4) version of spamassassin I had installed previously on
35 the same hardware.
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list