From: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Off site storage solution
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 09:13:42
1 This is very OT, but maybe I can finde some suggestions here.
2
3 I've got a gentoo server running on a VPS from linode
4 http://www.linode.com/ . I'm using the basic plan (linode 360) and I'm
5 happy with that.
6 The plan gives me 16gb storage that is enough for the webserver to work
7 and to store a lot user documents (PDF mostly) in the site.
8
9 Now an user asked me to store online his bibliography that it's about
10 96gb and growing.
11
12 A realtively cheap solution would be to store at home his documents
13 (well protected and backupped), on a dedicated nas. The matter is that
14 my isp doesn't give me a lot of upload bandiwidth (while I can download
15 more than 1mb/s I can't upload more than 50k/s). This might become kinda
16 annoying if the user is on the other side of the world and wants to show
17 to a collegue a 190mb pdf.
18
19 I could also upgrade my linode to a linode 2880, that would give me
20 enough space (128GB instead of 16) but will also cost me much more
21 ($159.95 per month instaed of $19.95). This is due to the fact that they
22 will also increase my ram and data transfer (that I don't need).
23
24 Is anyone aware of a off site storage solution that could satisfay my
25 needs?
26
27 Thank you in advance and sorry for the OT
28
29 ---
30 TopperH
31 http://topperh.blogspot.com