From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problem with kernel 2.6.15-gentoo-r1, nvidia-driver and fbsplash, splashutils
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 15:48:05
1 Hello,
2
3 i have tried to update my kernel from 2.6.24-gentoo-r5 to 2.6.15-gentoo-r1.
4 Now when i boot up, my splash-theme starts a few seconds after the
5 message "OK, now booting the kernel" as before when it started
6 immediately after this message.
7 Ok but the main problem is, before starting up gdm the system hangs and
8 i can do nothing else anymore. Without nvidia-driver installed i can log
9 in in textmode so i think it is a problem with the nvidia-driver and or
10 splashutils and fbsplash.
11
12 For your information, to update my kernel i used my old config-file with
13 make menuconfig which shows me the following output
17 make menuconfig
18
19 HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
20 HOSTCC scripts/basic/split-include
21 HOSTCC scripts/basic/docproc
22 HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
23 HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/kxgettext.o
24 HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/mconf.o
25 SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
26 SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/lex.zconf.c
27 SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
28 HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
29 HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/mconf
30 HOSTCC scripts/lxdialog/checklist.o
31 HOSTCC scripts/lxdialog/inputbox.o
32 HOSTCC scripts/lxdialog/lxdialog.o
33 HOSTCC scripts/lxdialog/menubox.o
34 HOSTCC scripts/lxdialog/msgbox.o
35 HOSTCC scripts/lxdialog/textbox.o
36 HOSTCC scripts/lxdialog/util.o
37 HOSTCC scripts/lxdialog/yesno.o
38 HOSTLD scripts/lxdialog/lxdialog
39 scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/i386/Kconfig
40 #
41 # using defaults found in .config
42 #
43 .config:1317:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol FB_SOFT_CURSOR
44 .config:1426:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol USB_BLUETOOTH_TTY
47 *** End of Linux kernel configuration.
48 *** Execute 'make' to build the kernel or try 'make help'.
52 Maybe it has something to do with this error
53
54 .config:1317:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol FB_SOFT_CURSOR
55
56 Any suggestions concering this problem?
57
58 Thanks in advance
59
60 Daniel Pielmeier