From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Is this a new kernel bug? Or not.
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 22:24:54
1 I just updated my oldest machine from gentoo-sources-3.14.37 to 3.14.38,
2 which introduced some new behavior that I find annoying, but I'm not sure
3 it's really a "bug". (It could be a "feature", I suppose):
4
5 This (old) machine still has a floppy disk (I told you it's old) and of
6 course during boot the kernel wants to know what hardware is attached and
7 it tries to read from the floppy and prints an error message to the console
8 that /dev/fd0 can't be read (because it has no floppy disk inserted).
9
10 But this new kernel 3.14.38 tries to read the floppy disk every time I type
11 "mount" at a bash prompt, and then spams the screen with errors about /dev/fd0.
12
13 My real puzzle, I guess, is that this new behavior was just now introduced
14 after *37* patches to kernel-3.14, which has always behaved the same way
15 until today(!).
16
17 Could/should kernel patch number 38 really introduce new behavior?
18
19 This is not the first time I've asked myself this question, and I don't
20 know the answer so now I'm asking you guys.