From: "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] The TALOS 2 Lite is now for sale - a very affordable OpenPOWER9 owner controlled workstation with open source firmware/hw init and documentation
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 20:27:27
1 In case anyone is interested I thought I would share.
2
3 https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Raptor-Talos-2-Lite
4 https://raptorcs.com/TALOSIILITE/
5
6 They're really making strides for making high performance owner
7 controlled, open source firmware systems very affordable - now they are
8 much less than a proprietary single socket x86 system of equivilant
9 performance.
10
11 The regular dual socket TALOS 2 is already a good price for server
12 hardware in its class but this is even better for those who don't need
13 dual socket or many PCI-e slots (although you can always use a PCI-e PLX
14 switch based expansion system if you later want more)
15
16 I find it simply incredible that a brand new open source firmware
17 OpenPOWER9 system now costs less than the last and best open source
18 firmware owner controlled x86 motherboards (KCMA-D8 and KGPE-D16) where
19 even buying used CPU's you would be spending more money than this to get
20 worse performance.