From: Stuart Howard <stuart.g.howard@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [blocks B ] <mail-mta/qmail-1.03-r16 (is blocking net-mail/cmd5checkpw-0.30)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:48:23
1 I had same block yesterday, below is what I did
2 worked a treat for me
3
4 -snip-
5 555 emerge -aDuv world {block showed up here}
6 556 emerge -aCv qmail
7 557 emerge -av qmail
8 -snip-
9
10 stu
11
12 On 23/10/05, Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk> wrote:
13 > On Sunday 23 October 2005 00:18, henkg@××××××××××××××.nl wrote:
14 > > Still something to learn I guess. my poppasswd file is still the example
15 > > file that came with whatever it came with. My pop accounts are
16 > > authenticated via the regular linux logins, so for every pop user (3 at
17 > > the moment) I have a user acount in linux.
18 >
19 > Good good.
20 >
21 > > What package uses this poppasswd file?
22 >
23 > cmd5checkpw, and anything else which does CRAM MD5 authentication at a guess.
24 > CRAM is done by sending a hash of the password over the wire, the salt is
25 > unique for each connection, so you need the plain text password on the server
26 > to check against, which are kept in poppasswd.
27 > Secure over the wire, hideously insecure on the server.
28 >
29 > > I tried qpkg, but that doesn't seem to exist any more?
30 >
31 > Yeah, it got moved to another package as it's depreciated in favour of equery.
32 >
33 > > Does the above mean I can safely enable noauthcram?
34 >
35 > Yes.
36 >
37 > --
38 > Mike Williams
39 > --
40 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
46 "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
47 binary, those who don't"
48
49 --Unknown
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list