From: Boris Fersing <kernelsensei@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge wants to rebuild a lot again
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:37:10
1 2006/9/11, Peter <sw98234@×××××××.com>:
2 > Today, I got a lot of rebuild requests from emerge after doing:
3 >
4 > emerge -puDvt --newuse world
5 >
6 > I spot checked a couple of builds, but nothing has changed! Can you help
7 > decipher the following please:
8 >
9 > Using the first application that shows up as an example:
10 >
11 > [ebuild R ] sys-apps/diffutils-2.8.7-r1 USE="nls -static (-debug%)" 1,037 kB
12 >
13 > What does (-debug%) mean? Here is the equery output:
14 >
15 > [ Found these USE variables for sys-apps/diffutils-2.8.7-r1 ]
16 > U I
17 > - - debug : Tells configure and the makefiles to build for debugging. Effects vary across packages, but generally it will at least add -g to CFLAGS. Remember to set FEATURES=nostrip too
18 > + + nls : Adds Native Language Support (using gettext - GNU locale utilities)
19 > - - static : !!do not set this during bootstrap!! Causes binaries to be statically linked instead of dynamically
20 >
21 > Ideas? Is it because the -debug variable has been removed from somewhere?
22
23 Hi,
24
25 did you install portage-2.1.1 ?
26
27 Portage has now a new feature, it re-emerges a package when the IUSE
28 variable has changed :
29
30 * In portage-2.1.1, emerge --newuse is now sensitive to changes in IUSE.
31 * Immediately after upgrade from 2.1, users may notice a significantly larger
32 * number of packages pulled in by --newuse, but that behavior is normal.
33 * For additional information regarding this change, please see bugs #116955,
34 * #144333, #144661, and #146060.
35 >
36 > Thx
39 HTH.
40
41 Boris.
42 > --
43 > Peter
45 > Do not reply to this email, it is a spam trap and not monitored.
46 > I can be reached via this list, or via
47 > jabber: pete4abw at jabber.org
48 > ICQ: 73676357
49 >
50 > --
51 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
57 Quiconque me parle de Dieu en veut à ma bourse ou à ma liberté.
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list