From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Transferring an existing install to new disk
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:20:18
1 On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:51:12 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > > So boot your existing Gentoo setup as usual, then follow the handbook
4 > > to install on the new disk. You do not have to boot from a live CD to
5 > > install Gentoo, and suitable working Linux environment will do the
6 > > job, and an existing Gentoo installation is more than suitable.
7 >
8 > There still seems to be some misunderstanding.
9 >
10 > I want to build up a fresh install somewhere besides my existing
11 > desktop OS (gentoo). Leave the existing setup alone for now.
12
13 Which is what a chroot install does.
14
15 > Get the fresh install up to speed so it is a fresh and new
16 > approximation of my desktop OS.
17
18 Ditto.
19
20 > And finally overwrite the desktop OS with the newly built one.
21
22 Overwrite? Where does the new disk come into it then?
23
24 > It sounds like what you are describing is just a new install using an
25 > exiting gentoo os instead of install disk.
26 >
27 > But the result would be a new install with nothing setup... on the
28 > desktop which is not what I want.
29
30 Obviously, you would set everything up, but it would be made easier by
31 the fact you are running on the target machine, and everything is in
32 place. There's no copying entire systems over, just change the bootloader
33 config when it's ready.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 Due to inflation, all clouds will now be lined with zinc.