From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 18:38:38
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 6:39 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> Use /dev/disks/by/partlabel/foo or /dev/disks/by-partuuid/bar.
5 >>>
6 >> That's even more typing than /dev/sdk. Some things I do easily by using
7 >> tab completion and all. When mounting, I let fstab remember the UUID
8 >> for it.
9 > That's what copy/paste is for. How often are you editing your
10 > crypttab anyway? This way when you move drives around they still
11 > work.
14 I did a google search for crypttab.  After reading what its purpose is,
15 I see why I don't have one.  It seems it is more for decrypting and
16 mounting things during bootup.  I don't need to mount encrypted data to
17 boot up or even log into KDE.  I just need it to access data when
18 needed.  Most of the encrypted data that I access often is actually my
19 external drives.  When I leave home, I close the encrypted data.  When I
20 get home, I open it and remount it.  If I need it for something.
21
22 One day I may encrypt my /home directory.  Maybe.  I don't really see
23 the need since any data I want protected can just be put on the
24 encrypted part I have now. Anyway, I suspect when I reboot, this is will
25 be back to the old way.  I thought I was going to have a opportunity to
26 do that last night.  My lights went off for a few seconds.  UPS kicked
27 in and they came back on.  It's not over yet tho.  ;-)
28
29 Or am I missing something?
30
31 Dale