From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage elog messages about historical symlinks
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 20:43:46
1 On 24/07/2013 19:22, Mick wrote:
2 > I am getting messages like the one below from portage every now and then.
3 > Especially, about /var/run, but in this case about a different directory:
4 >
5 > * Messages for package dev-libs/klibc-1.5.20:
6 >
7 > * One or more symlinks to directories have been preserved in order to
8 > * ensure that files installed via these symlinks remain accessible. This
9 > * indicates that the mentioned symlink(s) may be obsolete remnants of an
10 > * old install, and it may be appropriate to replace a given symlink with
11 > * the directory that it points to.
12 > *
13 > * /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm
14 > *
15 >
16 > Perhaps I am having a senior moment, but I am not clear what I should do
17 > despite the friendly message. This is the symlink in question:
18 >
19 > ls -la /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm
20 > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Nov 8 2008 /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm -> asm-x86
23 > How am I supposed to *replace* it with the directory that it points to?
26 I would take it to mean that /usr/lib/klibc/include/asm should be a
27 directory and contain the files that are currently residing in the
28 asm-x86 directory. For example:
29
30 # rm asm
31 # mkdir asm