From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Massive kmail breakage with mariadb-10.4.6
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 10:40:06
1 On Saturday, 22 June 2019 10:07:46 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello lists,
3 >
4 > Yesterday's routine update took mariadb from 10.3.16 to 10.4.6. When I came
5 > to look at my emails today, kmail couldn't do anything. To start with, it
6 > was stuck in an endless, looping attempt to display the current email. Then
7 > it couldn't archive the inbox, then it couldn't import from an archive. I
8 > couldn't even move an email from one folder to another. Akonadictl fsck and
9 > vacuum seemed to run but didn't improve anything. Even reverting to an old
10 > copy of my home directory didn't help.
11 >
12 > Eventually I noticed that mariadb had been upgraded, so I masked the latest
13 > version and reverted to the older one. Lo! and Behold! Kmail sprang back
14 > into life.
15 >
16 > I've sent this to both the relevant lists; I hope that's not a heinous
17 > transgression.
18
19 Perhaps mariadb-10.4.6 has had some major code changes which make it
20 incompatible with the 10.3.16 database structures, although you wouldn't
21 expect the level of breakage you're describing happening on a minor version
22 update.
23
24 Usually this incantation works:
25
26 pkill kmail
27 akonadictl stop
28 akonadictl start
29 akonadictl fsck
30 akonadictl vacuum
31
32 with a reasonable waiting time between each step to make sure the command has
33 finished processing the db files. If the db itself has been corrupted badly
34 (as it can happen on a ropey fs) then deleting and recreating the affected
35 akonadi resource may be a better option.
36
37 Did you try removing the akonadi resource, then recreating it and waiting for
38 mariadb to re-index the contents of your emails/contacts/notes/what-ever?
39
40 When things go awry on a system using btrfs and no mirror, this is my nuclear
41 option to restore a working kdepim.
42
43 PS. One of these days I will try to educate myself better on recovering from
44 btrfs corruption (or more likely reformat the fs to ext4 and forget about it).
45 ;-)
48 Regards,
49 Mick