From: Juho Rosqvist <juho.rosqvist@×××××.fi>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mutt and CC%CC$CC6 characters
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:16:30
1 On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 13:49:46 +0200, Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 06:31:34AM +0100, Graham Murray wrote:
5 > > Juho Rosqvist <juho.rosqvist@×××××.fi> writes:
6 > >
7 > > > Now, the subject _should_ read:
8 > > > Mutt and ÅåÄäÖö characters
9 > > [snip]
10 > > > I'm really at a loss as to what causes this problem, or how to fix it.
11 > > > Help would be appreciated.
12 > >
13 > > The problem is that if mail headers (especially to, from and subject)
14 > > contain non US-Ascii characters (as your email does), then the mail
15 > > program is supposed to use the mechanism described in RFC2047. Your
16 > > emailer is not doing this, but is sending the 'raw' Scandinavian
17 > > characters. As to how to fix it, I am sorry but I cannot be of any
18 > > help.
19 >
20 > I do not think this would be the problem, since MUTT does encode them
21 > (at last my mutt with Czech characters and utf-8 charset). I would try
22 > some other TUI application like mc or links. Vim handles the input
23 > directly AFAIK, but these use readline library for it.
24
25 I agree that my problem is probably input related. By your reply I
26 presume that mutt uses readline for input; is this correct?
27
28 Midnight Commander displays åäö correctly, but not the corresponding
29 capital letters ÅÄÖ, which is confusing to say the least. Links works
30 after switching to UTF-8 I/O and ISO 8859-1 character set (UTF-8 is not
31 available?), although some symbols are not displayed, e.g. the euro
32 currency symbol € is replaced by EUR -- but this is due to the symbol
33 missing from the charset, I believe.
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list