From: Tim Allingham <deserted@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving linux system to another partition
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 18:31:00
1 On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 20:52 +0200, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 02:43:23 +1000
5 > Tim Allingham <deserted@×××××××××××.au> wrote:
6 >
7 > > I generally prefer to do this with dd, from a remote environment
8 > >
9 > > dd if=/dev/<source partition> of=/dev/<destination partition>
10 >
11 > "Remote Environment" probably means a) read-only mounted root FS or b)
12 > a boot into another instance, e.g. a live-CD, right? If you're talking
13 > about just SSH'ing into the machine: That will probably cause the copy
14 > to be broken (if the machine has / still mounted r/w), at least an fsck
15 > would be needed.
16 >
17 > Also, this method will also need a bigger or equally sized new
18 > partition. If it's bigger, one also needs to resize the filesystem
19 > afterwards.
20 >
21 > -hwh
22
23 yeah that probably wasn't the best terminology to use, I was referring
24 to liveCD/alternate OS as opposed to remote access