From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 23:57:34
1 On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 18:31:37 -0500, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2
3 > Curious; how is merging two filesystems done? I don't have a separate
4 > /usr and am completely unaffected by this change, but it's somewhat
5 > interesting to me. /usr stores some pretty important data on it, and I
6 > imagine you'd need to mount it somewhere else in order to move the
7 > files from it to /'s /usr dir. Is a Live environment recommended
8 > instead? How would you mitigate the leftover partition, assuming it's
9 > not adjacent to /'s partition?
10
11 For /usr you don't need a live CD, because the contents of /usr shouldn't
12 change unless you instal/remove something. You can make sure they don't
13 change during the merge by remounting read-only
14
15 mount /usr -o remount,ro
16 mkdir /newusr
17 rsync -a /usr/ /new/usr/
18 Comment out /usr line in /etc/fstab
19 mv /usr /oldusr
20 mv /newusr /usr
21 reboot
22 rmdir /oldusr
23
24 What you do with the old partition is up to you. In this case the
25 discussion was about /usr on LVM, so you just delete it and allocate the
26 space elsewhere when needed.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 Top Oxymorons Number 43: Genuine imitation