From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] building packages remotely
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 01:26:29
1 On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Maxim Wexler<maxim.wexler@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > I've read references here and in other forums to building packages on
5 > a desktop PC and installing them on a note/netbook remotely as a way
6 > of relieving stress on the smaller machine.
7 >
8 > Can someone point me to the documentation or howto? I can't seem to
9 > come up with the proper google input that doesn't lead to garbage.
10 >
11 > Maxim
12
13 Well, if your systems are VERY similar (chost, cflags, very similar
14 selection of packages, etc) you can use:
15
16 emerge --buildpkgonly some/thing
17
18 to build packages, but I personally recommend putting together a
19 chroot to build in for your netbook (I recommend it only, really,
20 because I know it to work as I use it with virtual systems), and using
21 it to build packages. The process isn't too difficult... and is really
22 a lot like any other install.
23
24 make a directory to hold it, extract an appropriate stage3 (might look
25 at the weekly builds to save a lot of time on updating things), add
26 buildpkg to your FEATURES, build anything you need, possibly even
27 taking the time to do an --
28
29 emerge -ev --buildpkgonly world
30
31 to get up to date packages for everything, then make those packages
32 available to your weaker system through some means (ftp, http, or nfs
33 mounted over /usr/portage/packages). And make sure to always use
34 "emerge -k whatever" to make sure it uses the packages. Also, USE
35 flags should match between the real weaker system and the chroot you
36 built for it. You could also reinstall the weaker system from scratch
37 by treating the chroot as, basically, a stage4 ... leaving you only a
38 need to worry about bootloader, config files, and the kernel being
39 configured and built properly for your needs.
40
41 A similar, but secondary, option would be to start building for a
42 second system using the host system's compiler and portage, building
43 into a secondary 'ROOT', which I tend to do with systems that have no
44 need at all for a compiler, portage tree, etc, and building packages
45 out of those in the process.
48 Poison [BLX]
49 Joshua M. Murphy
50 "After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless." -
51 The Tao Of Programming