From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Change profile
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 07:55:33
1 On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 01:46:09 +0200, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2
3 > --deep is dangerous!
4 >
5 > I have stopped using --deep ages ago.
6 > As an example:
7 >
8 > there is an --deep update for libFOO.1 to libFOO.1.1.
9 >
10 > You make this update which only shows up with --deep
11 >
12 > Suddenly all apps, linking to libFOO.1 are dead or crashy or acting
13 > weired.
14
15 Dropping --deep won't stop that happening, only delay it. sooner or
16 later, one of your packages will need libFOO.1.1 and it will be
17 installed. --deep doesn't cause this problem, it only affects the timing.
18
19 > That happened to me several times. I see NO reason to use deep. Ever.
20
21 How about this instance? The OP wants all packages affected by the
22 profile change to be updated. Without --deep, that won't happen.
23
24 > Reduced the occurences where I have to use revdep-rebuilt to almost nil
25 > (except that expat tragedy some weeks ago. Man that sucked ;) ).
26
27 I do a deep update every day, on various architectures. I run
28 revdep-rebuild -p occasionally, just to make sure everything is
29 consistent, it rarely picks up anything.
30
31 --deep is an option, and I understand why you choose not to use it, but
32 on this occasion it is necessary to accomplish the OP's goal.
36 Neil Bothwick
37
38 Machine-independent: Does not run on any existing machine.